Friday, June 15, 2012

Catherine's Birthday Card

Well, first I have to update you on my sister, Merrilyn. Her oral surgery went "like clockwork", according to her dentists. But she was in lots of pain Wednesday night. She said the Vicodin didn't help, so that must have been some major  pain she was feeling. I stopped over on Thursday to give her the get-well card I made for her. She was still in pain, but the Vicodin seemed to be easing it better for her. Unfortunately she cannot chew anything for several days, so she is on a soft diet. Yuck. I would have a really hard time with that one, I tell ya! She's a real trooper, and Ron took good care of her on Wednesday. (Of course, by Thursday he was back to giving her a ration of crap. So what else is new?) And today she is feeling so well that she doesn't need the Vicodin. She even went swimming this morning. Oh, she told me to mention that she and her hubby really enjoyed the card I made for her. Add a big grin here.

Oh, and an update on the dog. He has to have physical therapy for his knee condition. Yes, that's right. Physical therapy. And it's not cheap! The initial visit, which is next Tuesday, will cost $125. Each visit thereafter is $50. And I have no idea how many visits this is going to take. Apparently, he needs to strengthen his muscles to hold his kneecap in place. And the therapy takes place in a swimming pool. A swimming pool? ROTFLMAO! (For those of you too refined to know what that means: Rolling on the floor laughing my a** off.) I repeat, a swimming pool? Donovan hates water. How in the heck are they going to get him to swim in a pool, pray tell? And I am supposed to continue his therapy at home. Since we don't have a pool, he needs to swim in the bathtub. OMG. I can see it now. It will be like a Three Stooges' skit. (Again, for those of you too refined to know them: the Three Stooges were a slapstick comedy act.) And I'll probably fall into the tub on top of the dog, drowning both of us. Pray for me. Please.

Gary and I bowled on league last night. I must say, I have a new sport to despise. I am getting progressively worse each week. I thought you were supposed to get better with more practice, but I seem to be going backwards. That. is. not. fun. (Need I say more?) Heavy sigh...

On the bright side, the U.S. Open is happening this week. I watched as much of it as I could squeeze in yesterday. So many fantastic golfers are duffing it around the course in San Fran. Goodness. Glad I've never played that course. Come to think of it, I'm glad I don't play any golf courses. Yeah, that's a sport I gave up for Lent a few years ago. And I'm not even Catholic. If my bowling doesn't improve soon, I may give that up for Lent, too--a year in advance! That makes no sense, does it. Tough.

Anyway, I will be watching as much of the U.S. Open as I can. I love it when the majors are played--there is so much more TV coverage of them than the regular tournaments. For me it's like being in hog heaven.

I realized this week that all Gary and I are watching on television this summer is reality TV. What the heck? How'd that happen? So You Think You Can Dance, Duets, Hell's Kitchen, Master Chef, Food Network Star, Design Star. It's a steady diet of unscripted programming. Well, mostly unscripted anyway. I want Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Merlin, Grey's Anatomy, and Hawaii 5-0 (among others) back. I need the drama, people. I don't have enough in my own life--I have to live vicariously through several TV series. Yeah. Pathetic. I know.

My friend, Catherine, is celebrating a birthday on Monday. So I concocted a card for this most auspicious occasion. She is turning 61. Just a baby. Anyway, she is from France, so I thought something French might be nice for her. I found some paper with the Eiffel Tower on it in My Mind's Eye Lost & Found Blush collection. Perfect. Especially since I had an MFT Eiffel Tower die to use as well.

OK, here is a total aside for you. When I was a kid in Whitefish, Montana, (oh, about a thousand years ago, before there was dirt), there was one fancy restaurant that was in town. Actually it was slightly out of town. But not by much. (Oh, there was another fancy restaurant north of town on Big Mountain, but that's not important to this tidbit, so just ignore it.) Anyway, we loved it when Mom and Dad would take us to this place, which wasn't often, since they were not rich people. And who the heck wants to take your kids with you when you go out for a nice dinner? But, my whole point here is that the name of this restaurant was entirely goofy. Well, no, that wasn't actually the name, but close. It was: drum roll please, Frenchy's Chinese Gardens. Now isn't that just the silliest name you ever heard of for a restaurant? Hey, it at least ranks right up there with Ruth's Chris Steak House. Which is really hard to say, btw.

Back to Catherine's card. I picked a digital Saturated Canary image, Ava, which I printed on Cryogen CS. My sentiment is a digi by Create with TLC, which I printed on Stampin' Up CS. I also used SU card stock for the rest of the card pieces and die cuts. The dies I chose were:  a Spellbinders leaf, a Marianne Designs leaf flourish, a Cheery Lynn French Pastry doily (still working on that French theme), an MFT Die-namics High Tea Party doily and an MFT Eiffel Tower, and a Cheery Lynn Deco B Lace Corner. The leaf pin, carnations, roses, and tulips are from Wild Orchid Crafts. My bow was made with my Bow Easy from SU ribbon. I added some tulle I had in my stash. I accented the image with Copics Opaque White. I added Stickles to the lace on Ava's top, the Eiffel Tower die cut, and the leafy flourish die cuts. I applied Glossy Accents to Ava's lips, eyes and balloon. Ava was colored with Copics: E0000, E000, E00, E11, E23, E25, E31, E50, RV000, RV17, RV52, RV55, BG0000, BG10, BG11.  

I am entering this into the following challenges:

Wild Orchid Crafts Anything Goes
Saturated Canary Anything Goes
Bunny Zoe's Girls, Girls, Girls

'K, that's enough of me today. Wishing everyone everywhere a fabulous weekend!





30 comments:

  1. Morning sweetie this is gorgeous and so beautifully coloured, hugs pops x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Pops! :^)
      Hugs,
      Penny

      Delete
  2. This is gorgeous, Penny! I love the color combo and all the flowers! Fabulous coloring of the sweet image and wonderful design details! I am sure Catherine will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Carla! :^)
      Hugs,
      Penny

      Delete
  3. Beautiful card Penny. I always love your beautiful coloring, so vibrant. I love this card too. Fabulous design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda! :^)
      Hugs,
      Penny

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear your sister's surgery is done with - now you can concentrate on some doggie swimming!! Gorgeous card with fabulous colours and I love the way those lovely flowers have framed the image :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice thoughts, Dawn! And thanks for the compliment, too! :^)
      Hugs,
      Penny

      Delete
  5. Supercute card ♥♥Thank you so much for entering our challenge at Bunny Zoe's crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a gorgeous card! Love the image and your coloring is fabulous!
    Hugs, Marie XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Marie! :^)
      Hugs,
      Penny

      Delete
  7. Your post cracked me up. Several times.

    Then I cracked myself up because I read "auspicious" as "suspicious". Which is really funny when applied to birthdays. Or at least I think it is.

    So, thank you for the multitude of giggles.

    The card is fabulous. I'm sure she'll love it and will help her feel better about her a/suspicious birthday.

    Great coloring. Great use of all those die cuts. Great enabling making me want to buy more dies. 'Cause I need them, don'tcha know. Great bow with the "Bow-Not-Easy". (I can't get a hang of it. Even with all the videos in the world and people showing me in person. I'm bow impaired.)

    I also love all the flowers.

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the post, Kathi! I know I enjoy yours, too; so we must have a similar warped sense of humor! :^)
      Yeah, you need more dies, like I do! Not!!! Bow-impaired--that's a good one!
      Thank you for the compliments! :^)
      Hugs,
      Penny

      Delete
  8. Oh. And I'm glad that your sister's surgery went well and that's she's beginning to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for the nice thoughts about my sister. She will appreciate it, too, as she reads all the comments on my posts! :^)
      Hugs again,
      Penny

      Delete
  9. This card is so wonderful!! ♥

    Hugs,
    Conny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Conny! :^)
      Hugs back,
      Penny

      Delete
  10. squeeee! omgosh penny that is just awesome! and i love the pink and glitzy eiffel tower too!! oh its just divine hun!
    thank you so much for popping in to share her with us over on the SC challenge blog
    hugs lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lou! :^)
      Hugs back,
      Penny

      Delete
  11. Hi Penny thank you for your lovely comments whilst I was away .
    WOW what a fabulous card, and how pretty are those flowers well done beautiful work.
    I see lots is going on in your life, I am so pleased to see your sister is doing well , ugh what a dreadful thing to happen to her mouth, and you dog with the physical therapy ! , its a wonder you are not worn out by now , but you are still smiling and still making me smile with your posts . Take Care Hugs Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Elaine! And thank you for the kind comments!
      Glad to make you smile! :^)
      Big hugs back,
      Penny

      Delete
  12. Hi Penny. I found your blog on the WOC challenge page. What a wonderful card. Love the colours and the layout. Ava is so cute.
    Love Sharon.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Sharon! So glad you joined my blog! Thank you for the compliments! :^)
      Hugs,
      Penny

      Delete
  13. Beautiful creation sweetie ♥♥ hugs Pops x x x

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW Penny...this is gorgeous, I bet Karen loved it tooo, I know I sure do!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy--yes, she did, thank goodness! :^)
      Hugs,
      Penny

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful card, Mom! Love how you framed the image with those flowers, and the coloring is superb, as always. That little Eiffel Tower is the perfect touch for Catherine. :)

    LOL that you're reality TV junkies. Try "My Cat From Hell" sometime on Animal Planet. The girls and I have been watching it recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again, DD! Catherine was pretty thrilled, which made me happy!

      I haven't heard of that show. I'll try to check it out. :^)

      Love,
      Mom

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate the kind comments more than I can say! :^)
Hugs, Penny